Wednesday, August 01, 2007

This man is not funny....

can't say much. I'm out of words. I don't like most people - is that okay sometimes?

Anyways, tell me again why a lot of 'progressives' like this man? Tell me again why? I don't think Russell Peters is funny, I think he's an arse and well - I think he's racist. Why do so-called progressive people think it's okay to laugh at what he says when they'd be appauled if it was someone else saying this kind of stuff? Oh yeah, I forgot - laughing at a brown man making racist jokes makes the jokes funny! Well, not funny - but you know, you don't have to feel guilty about laughing at something you'd be laughing at anyways, but can't due to 'political correctness' if it was a white person saying the same shit.

This is the thing about most comedy, you laugh at it cause it reifies and fortifies your 'common sense' understanding of the world. It makes you feel better, because it's not scary, it's not challenging - and hey someone up there just told you exactly what you already knew about blacks, women, asians, asian women, black women, the disabled and mentally challenged.... Why not pat yourself on the back and laugh?

Truly good comedy is about satire and pushing the status quo. Can for goodness sakes, most so-called brown 'progressive' people PLEASE STOP LAUGHING AT THIS MAN! He's not funny!!!!! Thank you.

Two clips compare and contrast:



12 comments:

donna darko said...

i don't even have the energy to watch peters. it's hot.

AradhanaD said...

Honestly, DonnaD, I'm so aggravated hearing people talk about him so much. Especially cause he's been doing this Canadian Tour and in Toronto - he sold out 60,000 seats (over two nights). Seriously, when was mainstream funny? Am I supposed to really clap everytime someone brown 'makes it' regardless of how racist they really are?

donna darko said...

it seems minority comedians have to make fun of minorities to make it.

Richie said...

"It makes you feel better, because it's not scary, it's not challenging - and hey someone up there just told you exactly what you already new about blacks, women, asians, asian women, black women, the disabled and mentally challenged.... Why not pat yourself on the back and laugh?"

Exactly. Things aren't much better down here, either. Oh, remember that show I posted the clip from with the actors in brownface doing the ZANY skit about telemarketers? It's coming back for another season in a fortnight. Joy.

AradhanaD said...

You may be onto something, but at the sametime - peters is no small fry anymore. In fact I can not get away from this man, last night as well - someone at this party tried to imitate Peter's "chinese accent" and he's like "No one can do it better than russell peters".

My stomach churns everytime.

Richie - that's really gross to hear that about that show. Sorry!

Anonymous said...

I never liked televised comedy. The camera always singles out a laughing member of a group who would be genuinely offended at the joke just given.

It's creates a manufactured message: "Your kind is laughing, you should laugh too unless you're an uptight, pc crusader"(I don't want to start on that whole "not politically correct" delusion many popular comedians have)

Anonymous said...

I didn't watch the video because frankly I'm just tired of these comedians making racists comments - its time to grow up. But in regards to what you said aradhanad, maybe the progressive people are giving him a pass because he's a minority and believe he's more oppressed than a white person - who would not get away with jokes like that. Frankly, that comedian is just continuing the status quo. And if he gets so much seats filled, he might just be a manufactured opposition that attracts people that have the same views has he does.

Anonymous said...

"It's creates a manufactured message: "Your kind is laughing, you should laugh too unless you're an uptight"

excellent point; the performance is really a product that's created by a whole host of helping hands and yet that can't be commented on because it's all the genius of the dude on stage or whatever.

Anonymous said...

Exactly. This post really hits the nail on the head. I've never understand the hype around his acts.

~Bq

AradhanaD said...

Rich, great point.

I have been waiting for the day Russell Peters' act becomes old and stale.... but since I first saw him 8 years ago, he's only gotten bigger.

That's also very telling of the times too. People want someone who isn't into "political correctness" and bullshit like that, they want someone to "tell it like it is".

And Peters as a brown man, fits that bill.

Anonymous said...

Who is this guy anyway?

AradhanaD said...

waht? Wow! Yay! One brown person who doesn't know who russell peters is...Maybe there's more of you! In which case Hurrah!