Both the big bang theory and genetics....
Sometimes you just get excited about stuff you just found and you want to share it with people - consider this one of those moments.
I knew about Mendel (the "father" of modern genetics - an Augustinian priest/monk) but Georges Lemaitre and the Big Bang too??? The predominant theories of both genetics (consequently evolution as we know it) AND the creation of the entire universe were drawn up by catholic priests!!! Go figure!
So, basically, what is the deal with all this intelligent design stuff? I mean it's not isolated to you Americans anymore either, recently in our provincial elections - the conservative leader, John Tory, did in fact make a brief mention about introducing 'intelligent design' curriculum into Ontario (not like he won, but still).
It's a really shitty circumstance that we are in nowadays - where everything is about 'expert' this and 'expert' that, I mean whatever happened to the "love of learning"? We are so quick to divide education into little compartments and that freaks me out. Everyday, everything becomes 'professionalized' and that's a scary thought - because when you 'professionalize' yet another subject, you take away from the overlapping layers of all types of knowledge, things that often can facilitate holistic learning. It's just sad.
Anyways....
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
I never knew creationism spilled over the border, I always thought of it as a peculiar U.S. malady.
To answer your question, I'm pretty sure that the core creationists are also anti-Catholic, so the fact that priests invented genetics and the big bang wouldn't sway them.
As a child in Brazil, I remember that even among my most devout Catholic relatives, nobody questioned evolution.
Post a Comment