Thursday, November 23, 2006

Friday Recipe: Peanut-Butter-Nut squash stew

Post dedication to ASpider (only because you asked for the recipe two days ago!)

Okay, not sure if I'm ever going to continue this every Friday, I am just experimenting with this blog thing - don't know if I'll continue.

1 butternut squash - peeled and cubed (1x1 inch)
2 medium tomatoes - finely chopped
1 small onion - finely chopped
3 cloves garlic - minced
1/4 tsp cinnamon powder
2 tbsps crunchy peanut butter
1 tsp coriander powder (optional)
1/4 tsp cayenne powder (optional)
1 tbsp vege oil
8-10 cups of water
salt to taste

Prep time: 15 mins
Cooking time: 30-40 mins
Serves 6-8 - with left overs.
This is a light, yet extremely filling soup!!!!

In a medium/large pot heat the oil. When the oil is hot, saute the garlic and onions until they are golden. Add the tomatoes - dash of salt to make them sweat. When they are soft add the coriander, cayenne, cinnamon and stir. Add the cubed butternut squash and stir. Add 8-10 cups of water (don't worry about adding too much water - cause you can boil it off). Bring to a boil. After the first boil, reduce heat to medium, cover and let it cook for 30 mins, stirring occasionally (add your salt at this time - I would suggest 3/4 tsp). When you can squish the squash with a fork - that's when it's nearly ready. Take a ladel or a large wooden spoon and squish up the remaining squash (to your liking - I usually leave a few chunks in there). Boil off excess water until desired consistency. Add the peanut butter and some ground up peanuts.

This is super yummy with couscous.... mmm

PS - you can also puree or blend this, but I just think the texture is so much nicer when you don't.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I bought a butternut squash today so I might try this. It's a good excuse to buy peanut butter as well. Yum.

AradhanaD said...

Ohhh Yay! Delphyne stopped by! I'm so happy!

I forgot - if you are buying the sugar free/organic PBs add a bit of brown sugar to this stew (like 2tsps). It will taste nicer.