...well by most people anyways.
Anyways, here's Tony Blair on 'black youth culture':
In a speech yesterday, Blair said the violence was not a symptom of a broader social malaise and should not be treated as part of a general crime wave, but as specific to black youth, The Guardian reported.
He said people had to drop their political correctness and recognise that the violence would not be stopped "by pretending it is not young black kids doing it".
"What we are dealing with is not a general social disorder, but specific groups or people who for one reason or another are deciding not to abide" by society's codes of conduct, Blair said. Continue reading here
Hey, but if that's not enough - why not moralize around the issue and essentially blame WMS's favorite lynch-pin, black women, for the problem?
Mr Blair is known to believe the tendency for many black boys to be raised in families without a father leads to a lack of appropriate role models.
He said: "We need to stop thinking of this as a society that has gone wrong - it has not - but of specific groups that for specific reasons have gone outside of the proper lines of respect and good conduct towards others and need by specific measures to be brought back into the fold." Continue reading here
------------------------------------------------------------------
In other news:
One more reason to girlcott Chapters, that is if you hadn't already!
I've decided to shift my blogging efforts to be more local, as I just haven been doing that at all - oddly enough most feminist bloggers have me listed as an AMERICAN! now, now...
Lake Oswego, Oregon - make yourself known!!! I see you in my site-meter and I'm wondering if we've ever been formally introduced ;)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

7 comments:
Yay, you're blogging again!
I, for one, support your shift to blogging about local stuff. I'd really like to hear more about Canadian news Re: women of colour. The other day I read about this -- did you hear anything about it?
I'm really interested to read yr views on these things, because I really have been enjoying your comments at other blogs.
Oh, thanks firefly! I heard about the event - but I'm in Toronto and BC is at the other end of the country. I heart Margaret Abraham - she's really amazing. The incidents in BC have really escalated, especially in the past few years. There have been many incidences of DV which lead to very extreme circumstances, like homicide, in the SA community over there. This comes when in the last few years there have been major cutbacks to women's shelters and agencies out there too. I do have to invest in understanding this better though, especially what is happening out in BC (I have not kept up to date with the recent reports).
Thank you for the new blog link.
i support your blogging about what a tosser tony blair is!
he should be banned from using the word 'kids' at the very least.
This is a bit late to add to this thread but here are some of the results of Tony Blair's statements and his war on Iraq -
http://www.channel4.com/news/articles/society/education/revealed+racism+in+schools/529297
The wronger he's been about Iraq, the more racist statements he and his government ministers have been making.
thanks delphyne!
Racist or not, war criminal or not he has a point.
Violence IS a major problem primarily among black youth culture, both in GB and in the US. Getting angry about it solves nothing. It needs to be faced squarely in the face.
Vicky, this is not a 'race 101' blog, sorry.... please read up before you comment here. Thank you.
I'm not here to educate you on how what blair said is wrong or not.
Post a Comment