Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Drop the Cosmo for the relationship advice - pick up a feminist book for your own benefit first!

Something we feminists always knew!
I'd write more - but I do have to say profeminist men in hetero-relationships are always far more happier in a relationship because as one guy told me "it allowed him to get rid of his macho facade and open up more".... :)

Feminism And Romance Go Hand In Hand
Science Daily — Contrary to popular opinion, feminism and romance are not incompatible and feminism may actually improve the quality of heterosexual relationships, according to Laurie Rudman and Julie Phelan, from Rutgers University in the US. Their study* also shows that unflattering feminist stereotypes, that tend to stigmatize feminists as unattractive and sexually unappealing, are unsupported.

It is generally perceived that feminism and romance are in direct conflict. Rudman and Phelan’s work challenges this perception. They carried out both a laboratory survey of 242 American undergraduates and an online survey including 289 older adults, more likely to have had longer relationships and greater life experience. They looked at men’s and women’s perception of their own feminism and its link to relationship health, measured by a combination of overall relationship quality, agreement about gender equality, relationship stability and sexual satisfaction.

They found that having a feminist partner was linked to healthier heterosexual relationships for women. Men with feminist partners also reported both more stable relationships and greater sexual satisfaction. According to these results, feminism does not predict poor romantic relationships, in fact quite the opposite.
The authors also tested the validity of feminist stereotypical beliefs amongst their two samples, based on the hypothesis that if feminist stereotypes are accurate, then feminist women should be more likely to report themselves as being single, lesbian, or sexually unattractive, compared with non-feminist women.

Rudman and Phelan found no support for this hypothesis amongst their study participants. In fact, feminist women were more likely to be in a heterosexual romantic relationship than non-feminist women. The authors conclude that feminist stereotypes appear to be inaccurate, and therefore their unfavorable implications for relationships are also likely to be unfounded.

* Reference: Rudman LA & Phelan JE (2007). The interpersonal power of feminism: is feminism good for romantic relationships? Sex Roles (DOI 10.1007/s11199-007-9319-9)

Note: This story has been adapted from material provided by Springer.

Ads by Google

8 comments:

donna darko said...

YEAHHHHHH!!!!!!!

Well-said.

Indianoguy said...

I agree, feministas make me frisky ;-)
I have a huge crush on Shami Chakrabarti

AradhanaD said...

i knew - this was a slippery slope to tread down. Indianoguy, I hope you weren't one of those guys taking gender studies 101 "to pick up tha chix"..... *tee hee*

Before I equate 'feminism' as good for the 'sex life' aka - capitalism's version of "feminists do it better" (paging Jessica Valenti/end snark), let me say this ----

no, nah-uh - feminists are not feministing for the men.... Sisters are doing it for themselves - really. But if you happen to be in a relationship with a feminist, you may inadvertently experience a stronger, healthier relationship.

Guys who chase after feminists like a commodity to be had, in fact do creep me out, but a man who sincerely wants to be in a healthy relationship and works hard at it - is another story altogether.

Now, I wonder if the men they interviewed said that they were 'open-minded' before they entered these relationships.

:P

Indianoguy said...

Indianoguy, I hope you weren't one of those guys taking gender studies 101 "to pick up tha chix"..... *tee hee*
Really? guys do that?
I've never met a guy in real life, who did that kind of thing or a girl who fell for that kind. It seems like one of those urban legends.

BTW, I dont pick up the chix, chix pick me up :D

Note: I have intelligence of an average Youtuber, so please do not take me seriously.

donna darko said...

I have intelligence of an average Youtuber

That's really honest there.

AradhanaD said...

Awe!!! Yeah, I knew one guy who did do that actually.... I know it's sad....

PS - I'm not commenting on your intelligence (cause anyone who comes to LLL on a regular basis - can't be half bad :P)- but at least you don't have the attention span of the average youtuber!!! ;)

Indianoguy said...

That's really honest there.
DD, Honesty is my middle name. I am also Freeberty( Freedom + Liberty) in da human form :)

cause anyone who comes to LLL on a regular basis - can't be half bad :P
AD, you are a self-congratulating soapboxist :P

donna darko said...

anyone who comes to LLL on a regular basis - can't be half bad :P

Didn't you hear? It takes a 9th-13th grade education to read our blog!