It is the same sentiment that I've elicited from a lawyer, who says, "I paid 100 grand to go to law school, and I could make more money on my back," the same response I get from an executive assistant, a service-industry worker, and a teacher, who hold five degrees between them. Even Rosen, after asking me how much I'm "worth," exclaims, "That's a lot! Think about your income. Think about mine. I'm not advocating this; I'm just saying I can understand the calculations."
Note to white feminists, again, so if this is so lucrative - what happens to 30+, pudgy, coloured women like me... any price for my pussy?
I forgot - I'm not supposed to be educated, sexy or worthy - unless I'm exotic and submissive...
blah blah blah. And so it goes, more churning for the putting out industry. What was the point of this article again.
Seriously, feminists who advocate that sex-work is value-neutral - i.e. 'nothing sexist' exists - seem to think that it operates in it's own little bubble outside of anything else. I.e. though the author pays lip-service to the fact that being '27' is too 'old' - there really is no critique of the fact that that in itself is sexist. So, while taking money is okay - it's as if, this is just some kind of 'simple isolated transaction'. I.e. the objective of the article was economically reductionist in which women's desires, women's age/beauty/SKIN color/ CLASS - i'm sorry but not everyone has $50K+ to spend on getting an MA - play no part in being desired as 'fuckable', let alone by wealthy men. But of course 'sex-positivity' is NEVER holistic. NEVER. It's is fragemented and selective.
Btw - my blog sucks now and I don't even get 25 hits a day, so if you are going to start a 'war', or let's be clear, I don't like your comments (it's my blog isn't it?) - forget it - I'm just not publishing your comments - bite me.
later.

7 comments:
I think the title of the piece was interesting as it was about "writing for peanuts."
It's like, does she even realize the only reason a big mag like Mother Jones will even publish her is because she's willing to take the stance she does on sex for money? Because, newsflash, they're not publishing women her age who don't. So she doesn't even have to get fucked by the old dude personally to take advantage of this -- so long as someone else is getting fucked, she gets to write for peanuts-plus, which other women don't. So she's more of a pimp herself in this case because it's those other women getting fucked in the ass and she's profitting from it.
Hear, hear.
I will go read the article so I have a comment that's about what you wrote, I just have to say - I may need to start a blog war of my own over this statement:
"my blog sucks now"
Not even remotely accurate.
okay so I read the article.
yeah, mostly hard for me to get it up about the shocking! dilemma of whether a privileged person should try to experience more privilege than what she currently has by seeing if she can find a tolerably bangable dude for money.
a) I find the wide-eyed-ness about the money to potentially be made fucking people you wouldn't otherwise fuck pretty contrived in this day and age.
b) I got news for people - I am making way more money now, annual-salary-wise, as an office manager than I ever did in the kinky sex industry. And I used to charge some people $3000 a session. MOST people who do anything sexually related for money are not making better money than lawyers or executive assistants or even teachers.
And I'd rather talk about why it's shitty that we expect service industry workers to do things we expect service industry workers to do, for so little, than to hear white middle class people exoticize the sex industry yet again.
Also agree with Rich - I'd like a moratorium on the pretend-there-are-no-privileged-voices aspect of what gets published regarding the sex industry and those in it or contemplating it. All I really ever see are people who went "hey this is a better bargain for me so I choose it!" (never discussing the fact [or the implications therein] that mostly it is people with certain skin colors and class backgrounds and access to cosmetic procedures who can even choose to make that bargain in the first place.
Ah, and also I see articles about heroic white dudes who travel the globe rescuing women and children who are forced into prostitution often for the sexual pleasure of rich western white men.
And, I am forever aggravated by the claiming of the term "sex positivity" as differentiated from anyone who has a critical word to say about how sex plays out across many levels and does not have strictly "positive" feelings about it. And no I am not just talking about "hey we slam hetero white dudes like everybody else!" critiques.
Feh, I say.
And I am glad to see you posting, always.
OMG - the annual salary example you gave makes sense.
And thanks for the blog-validation - I haven't been posting as much, and 'ratings' are poor, I didn't know anyone would read here.
Thanks so much for your input Joan.
I always check here for new posts, from you and Donna Darko both, although of course now I read Donna's other blog too. : )
hey ad! make that 26 hits... but don't worry about hits - that would be like saying my blog was rubbish because not even i go there. ah well...
long time and i hope you're doing well. i got much news and will pass some on as i can, but for now a big blog yo, or some such validation. write! you know it's good. it even sounds like right.
Post a Comment