Wednesday, February 06, 2008

Guess what I just realized?

I just don't give a crap about the US elections.... no, seriously.
I had to burp that out somewhere, no better place than here. I just don't care.

After about 3-4 months of not looking at blogs, I flipped through, oh maybe - 10 of them.... and I realized, as a Canadian, I just don't give a damn about your elections.

Yes, I'll probably be depressed if somehow another fascist dictator is elected, but you know - right now, I just don't care because as far as I can see it - I don't really like ANY of the candidates that are running.

Comment if you don't care either.... cause you know what, the supposed 'revolution' is not happening from above and the more bandwidth people waste on "but hillary vs. obama" the more of a headache I have. Like I said as a Canadian, I don't see the difference between either of them.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree. And I'm so sick of hearing about it, especially the Hillary vs Obama stuff.

P.S. Been lurking for a while and I have to say I really appreciate your voice in the blogosphere.

G. said...

Elections are much like professional sports contests or American Idol or some wonderful drug: they may captivate the masses, but after all is said and done, you're still sitting in your chair with an empty feeling, and that mountain of bills to pay, and that job that slowly sucks your life away.

AradhanaD said...

hmmm.... you know G, I hear that sentiment a lot, but I don't agree with it. I think elections are really important - afterall, people often die over them, people fight over them - in fact a lot of people (read non-north american) take democracy and the right to vote very seriously. We just have to look at examples from Pakistan and Kenya RIGHT NOW. People are demanding change and are often willing to give their lives for it.

Unfortunately, in the US elections/primaries I just don't think anything is about to change. None of the candidates plan to change the US system, and I think it's fascinating that the networks now have something else to fill in for the writer's strike - and that's a bunch of crockish speculation about the candidates. On an another day, that might be good - but I think big media realizes that none of these people REALLY threaten the status quo, in fact, like you said, quite correctly - the candidates all have some kind of rock-star status - which in my opinion is sad. It's funny because if you look on youtube, you'll see how limited the media time was for gravel and kucinich (who by american standards are "WAY LEFT").

People seem to forget that it's these people that 'represent them' not that these people are 'great and the chosen ones' - it's really quite the other way around. It should be a privilege to serve your country - not some kind of status quo thing.

i ramble...

Kai said...

Yeah, I hear you, Aradhana. It seems like a lot of hopeful progressives are hearing something in Obama's "change" slogan that's much more profound than what he really represents. I think the change would be more socio-culturally symbollic than institutionally substantive. In terms of policy, I don't think there would be all that much difference between a Clinton or Obama administration; fundamentally, a continuation of corporatist neo-liberalism. People just get caught up in these grand charades, ya know.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, I absolutely agree...I'm tired of the hype and the extensive coverage of petty drama. I preferred Obama initially because he was vocally anti-war. But then he also sent a letter recently approving of the Israeli blockade cutting off Palestinians' electricity and food, and pledging to send more weapons if he comes to power. They don't represent any fundamental change. At the end of the day, they're Republican-lite. A friend said, "well of course, what do you expect?", as though my criticisms stemmed from naivety. But I believe it is naive to uncritically buy into the empty excitement.

Prole said...

Hi, so sorry for the completely OT post, but I couldn't find an email anywhere.

You've been nominated for a Canadian F-word Blog Award!

Details (and code for a badge if you like) are at A Creative Revolution. Congratulations and good luck!

http://www.acreativerevolution.ca/node/596/

AradhanaD said...

omg omg -- thanks for letting me know!

Nadia said...

girl! i'm a u.s. citizen and i don't give a shit about the elections.