Friday, February 01, 2008

the awesomey goodness of M.I.A

and to thunk that MTV would censor those bullet shots... dayum...

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow. All this time I thought that censoring-of-bullet-and-cash-register-noise was covering up some sexual thing in the lyrics. I have only heard the song on the radio, not seen the video before this.

AradhanaD said...

i know, it's a real sham isn't it? You see/hear/live in such a violent culture - but when the threat of violence is coming from the 'lower-rungs' of the hierarchy - you gots to silence it.

what a bunch of shite.

Anonymous said...

How odd...there's so much gun violence on tv. Does MTV normally block out gunshots?

I didn't really understand the hype around her first album. Also, lot of her lyrics are kinda ambiguous to me. I don't really know what she's singing about most of the time.

AradhanaD said...

I don't think it's 'odd' that they did this. I think it makes sense that they would do it. It's threatening to hear a WOC talk about shooting people, especially those in power.

According to something I read somewhere MIA said this song is about the invisibilization of POC immigrants, it's assumed that all new immigrants want to do to the dominant population is "kill them or take their money".

Taking the video into consideration, it makes sense.

I agree I didn't really care for her first album, but I think upon relistening to her songs, I appreciate her playful, satirical, sometimes powerful and in your face attitude about them. A lot of her songs are about social injustice and she seems to be very unabashedly pro-Tamil Tigers. I think it's commendable that she isn't scared to be so open.

You should check her stuff out on youtube! :) I spent sometime doing that....

Anonymous said...

Some (corporate) rap songs have gunshots, but yeah, the songs are not about retribution against the ruling powers. I think I will re-read some of her lyrics again.

Anonymous said...

I dunno, I really think she's over-hyped...my reaction might be knee-jerk because her fans seem to mostly be hipsters with no clue about Sri Lankan politics and into the "revolutionary chic" thing...sorta like with Che shirts and keffiyehs.

AradhanaD said...

you know, I just had some friends over and Temple of the Dogs song, hunger strike was on.... Their reaction was "Oh thank goodness we just ordered pizza. There really aren't any other memorable lyrics to this are there?"...

So... my point is - if you've made it in the 'mainstream' - it doesn't always mean your intent isn't good - it's just that with all 'art' people take different things from it.

She might be overhyped, i may just be thinking she's a little too awesome. I mean I have yet to hear of a single other south asian woman who's really made it big and still maintained some kind of "threatening" political edge. How do you get away with being very openly pro-tamil tigers on radio?

AradhanaD said...

PS - in fact the most memorable line of the song "hunger strike" isn't "I'm going hungry" as my friends thought - but IMO "I don't mind stealing bread
From the mouths of decadence"...

Anonymous said...

I see what you mean. I'm not sure if this song subverts or reinforces stereotypes of immigrants, though. Like, we might know what it is supposed to represent, but I don't know how it translates in general.