Thursday, May 03, 2007

Chuckle of the day....

I'll admit it ... I'm going through a bit of a mind-#$@% at the moment, so um anything with 'labels' has got me a little irked out. Okay, to be honest, I feel like I've come out of the pomo-blender again - and don't pretend like that hasn't ever happened to you. If it hasn't well, then - good for you; Here's a cookie!

Anyways, I was going to make this one quick. There's something to be said when someone types this into google, and your blog is at the top of the list.

Well, bad choice of blog names. I chose the title for my blog not because I am 'leftier' than anyone else (I'm not, hell I'm not half as political as I would like to be on this blog) - but more so because I was trying to pull a reclaimation strat, namely as a 'feminist' blogger and because I've been called 'leftist looney' one tooo many times, to my face at that.

So anyways, feel free to congratulate me in the comments or share your worst pomo-$#&% experiences!

ETA: Enjoy and olidie but a goodie - is it just me, or do you find this song oddly inspirational too? Something I'm lacking ATM.



I get up in the evening
and I ain't got nothing to say
I come home in the morning
I go to bed feeling the same way
I ain't nothing but tired
Man I'm just tired and bored with myself
Hey there baby, I could use just a little help

You can't start a fire
You can't start a fire without a spark
This gun's for hire
even if we're just dancing in the dark

Message keeps getting clearer
radio's on and I'm moving 'round the place
I check my look in the mirror
I wanna change my clothes, my hair, my face
Man I ain't getting nowhere
I'm just living in a dump like this
There's something happening somewhere
baby I just know that there is


You can't start a fire
you can't start a fire without a spark
This gun's for hire
even if we're just dancing in the dark

You sit around getting older
there's a joke here somewhere and it's on me
I'll shake this world off my shoulders
come on baby this laugh's on me

Stay on the streets of this town
and they'll be carving you up alright
They say you gotta stay hungry
hey baby I'm just about starving tonight
I'm dying for some action
I'm sick of sitting 'round here trying to write this book
I need a love reaction
come on now baby gimme just one look

You can't start a fire without a spark
This gun's for hire
Even if we're just dancing in the dark
You can't start a fire worrying about your little world falling apart
This gun's for hire
Even if we're just dancing in the dark
Even if we're just dancing in the dark
Even if we're just dancing in the dark
Even if we're just dancing in the dark

PS - yes I know the problematic gender relations in the video... lyrics, focus on the lyrics! TY! (but he's so dreamy.....!)

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

what you are saying is that you are the owner of the most famous blog called 'leftist looney lunchbox' around. hmmm okay - maybe a small celebration. i too am the most famous simply wondered...

i do love it when people call me leftist as an insult! in fact i simper.

AradhanaD said...

I guess it makes us both famous... so tell me about your pomo experiences... Do share! I want to know if you've had them and how you made them stop.

I've stopped already, I just needed to get a few phone calls from female friends in bad relationships to wake me up again, but hey - it worked.

brownfemipower said...

Oh NO!!!!!! hahaha....well, there are more insulting things than this to happen to a blogger I guess!!!
congratulations on the high honor!!

AradhanaD said...

thanks bfp, LOL!!!

Anonymous said...

what's this pomo thing? when i first read it i thought it was porno...
i really don't know - sorry! but i'd be interested to find out...

Anonymous said...

pomo = post modern?

hey arandhana! :)

AradhanaD said...

SW & V, yes, postmodern... sorry. I should have been clearer!

No, SW - you don't want to get into that. I mean it's a good tool for self-reflection/identity and 'questioning' - but then you take it too far and you absolve yourself of 'reality' and just keep on going down the path of 'everything is constructred'... I'm not doing a good job explaining.

Anonymous said...

Brucie! Courtney! You're giving me eighties flashbacks, Arhadana, including the jealousy that Courtney Cox (unknown at the time) got to dance with Bruce Springsteen. Boo!

I missed pomo indoctrination when I was at university because my department just wasn't trendy enough, although I did read around some of it on my own time. I came to the conclusion that they'd stolen the insights of feminism and civil rights and anti-colonialist movements - that the white male point of view isn't the only valid one - and emptied it of it's political content in order to turn it into an exercise in intellectual wankery.

Has postmodernism set a single person free from oppression? I think not.

AradhanaD said...

Delphyne - i was a weeeeeee kid when this video came out, and I was jealous then too! And then I was jealous of Courtney when she was dating Alex Keaton on family ties (I didn't know what a young republican meant!!! damn it!).

One day I'll post a rant about how I've begun to despise the 'text/narrative/discourse/epistemological 'violences'' that flood pretty much all 'academic discourse' - daily.

I don't want to throw the baby out with the bathwater - but I get it already!!!!

It's funny though how pomo-ism really clouds your own judgement too. I'm surprised more 'academics' etc... don't write about that.

Anonymous said...

That's interesting what you say about postmodernism clouding people's judgement - the two run-ins with postmodernism that I've had that stick out in my mind were during discussions of sexist pieces of art (Hans Belmer - pervert artist) and one of those hideous naked female mannequins as tables, and both times I was informed that it wasn't possible to say they were sexist because there are "many interpretations". It seems pretty useless as a political tool.

AradhanaD said...

delphyne - you hit the nail on the head!

This is my beef, it's useful as a tool of 'introspection' - but what it does is run around eating it's own tail in terms of discourse.

I.e. it removes the 'context' and focuses on the interpretation as a social construction.

I.e. the misogynist lyrics I posted earlier are not misogynist (i.e. part of a system) but rather 'artistically interpretative'. Hence so many feminists rushing forth to 'reclaim' the word 'bitch/slut'.

They forgot about CONTEXT and focused on INTERPRETATION. i.e. the structural/material realities that 'construct' our lived experiences.

:)

AradhanaD said...

For example the other day - I honestly woke up (and this is embarassing) saying "There's no such thing as gender. There's no such thing as race. I live a happy reality - why do I care?".

Then a friend of mine called me up - told me she was divorcing her husband - and every word she said about having to baby a grown man was just like what every other woman has ever told me. And so we forget the importance of context.

Anonymous said...

i'm so sorry; had no idea that anyone these days could actually be talking about post-modernism. i thought we did that one when i was at college 20 years ago? it must have come round again. well as sam goldwyn (or was it golda meir) said: 'include me out'

Anonymous said...

Seems to me like you are the wielding the analytical hammer there, Aradhana. :P I am looking forward to reading your fuller opinions on pomo.

"I honestly woke up (and this is embarassing) saying "There's no such thing as gender. There's no such thing as race. I live a happy reality - why do I care?"."

Wow, that's quite a level of mind-messing. Do you think there could be an element of indoctrination going on here? I only ask because the people I've come up against in feminism promoting the pomo line hold on to the theory very tightly indeed - even when facts glaringly contradict them.

AradhanaD said...

no, there's no indoctrination here at all. And i guess, I don't think anyone really gets 'indoctrinated' into anything - they just end up living in their own privilege for a while - to ever really see beyond themselves. It's easy to slip like that. I think it's easy for all of us to slip up once in a while.

Not to worry - just some introspective honesty that I don't mind admitting to.

I've been in the pomo midset in the past (my first gender studies courses which made me proudly declare how 'feminist' the spice girls were). Then I got out of it via radical and socialist feminism.

I think it was a series of events that led me this way again. But it's interesting how just when you start thinking something - something else can happen that just pops you right out of it.

Amy (feminist reprise) has been very helpful! Check out some of her recent white privilege tools.

I would love to hear from anyone if they've pomo-tripped before!