I wouldn't normally do this type of thing...but...
I don't think anyone has ever made celibacy look so fucking cool and at the sametime made it seem so much more like a 'rational choice' vs. a religious imposition.
So this is for one of rock's original 'queer' dudes - Happy Birthday Morrissey!
Of course a lot more can be said about 'rationality' and Morrissey, maybe his scary vegetarian politics? maybe his contempt for the monarchy? maybe his constant existential angst (when does one outgrow that, if ever)? - and lastly his possible dislike of people like me (i.e 'pakis')?
Either way, this man rocks.
Morrissey on Meat:
My favorite Morrissey song (excluding years with the Smiths):
You know, while rewatching this video I couldn't help appreciate it a little more than I have in the past. It's nice for once to see a girl play the role of the existentially angst-ridden, disaffected, tragic hero. I.e. in which we assume she is both intelligent and worthy of our empathy due to her implied feelings of dissociation from everyday living. Women/girls aren't usually afforded that luxury in pop/rock songs - especially in the present state of crapptacular music and music videos. And is it just me, or is there a little more in that 'wave' to the female store-clerk?
However, interestingly this video while good in it's attempt, inadvertenty reifies gender binaries too because it's almost as if the girl herself seems to take on a 'masculine' role in contrast to the other women around her. I.e. the other women around her end up being 'chatty and vapid' stereotypical feminine cliches, while her tragic hero status exists more so due to her being able to identify with Morrissey (and her clothing). Obviously debatable.
Just musing...
Enjoy!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
How does he get his voice to sound so angelic? That's what I'd like to know.
Kinda feel that way about Aaron Neville too.
he's ethereal.... *sigh*
The man does indeed rock large amounts, especially when he was in the Smiths.
He could sing the phone book and make it sound devastatingly witty.
Post a Comment