Wednesday, May 02, 2007

Just found out bout it....

Ahhh - I just found out about this conference, looks awesome. There's like 3 ppl who visit this blog from TO. If you happen to be one of those three - hopefully I'll see you there!

Ciao
-AD

http://jps.library.utoronto.ca/ocs/program.php?cf=7

May 3rd and 4th.

The 7th Annual Critical Race Studies Conference of Researchers and Academicsof Colour for Equality (R.A.C.E.) and Toronto Women's Bookstore invite youto the book launch of ...

TRANSNATIONAL RACISM AND "THE RIGHT TO HAVE RIGHTS">From First Nations, to migrants and refugees, Muslims and Arabs detained asterror suspects, Palestinians, Haitians, Iraqis, Afghanis, homeless groups,youth of colour and many others, today's neoliberal world marks many groupsas excluded from humanity. Such groups are also evicted from politicalcommunity. They become communities of people without "the right to haverights" (Arendt) and live in areas where violence may be directed at themwith impunity. All such excluded groups are racialized, that is, understoodas being a lower form of humanity than people of European origin.

2 comments:

G. said...

I would have liked to attend this event; however, I had not sufficient notice to break free from my corporate overlords for the two days in question.

Did you end up going? Was there anything that stood out that you wish to share?

AradhanaD said...

Hey G.,

Yes, it was very short notice - had I know about it earlier - I would def. have posted it up.

The conference was good. I went for the second day - but I am slightly ambivalent about the kind of info I gathered. If/when I gather my thoughts - I will post them up.

It was very nice in the sense that I have never been to a 'critical race' issues academic conference before. I've been to socialist ones, and feminist ones - and the consistency is usually 70% white. So for my own personal satisfaction and morale - I really, really felt very comfortable in this conference.

The inside joking, everything - I felt the most comfortable at an academic conference than I have ever been. As for the material presented though - it was slightly postmodern for me.

A lot of it was about 'media and discourse' - which is fine - but 'media discourse' does not explain everything - nor does it explain concrete social justice issues.

In that sense, I guess that's the socialist in me speaking though.

I'll think about it some more.

Thanks for inquiring!