The latest reader to LLL, wrote me this lovely poem today - contrary to popular belief, it made me bawl my eyes out - so to welcome this reader - I thought I would share this poem with whoever else is reading:
I have an angel,
wide eyes with answers,
open arms to hold guilt,
deep heart to hide sorrows,
beautiful smile to face the confessions,
to heal and to share,
the faith is hurting,
she is trying to be free,
rebellious with change
just to be human.
-----------------
It's been at least 20 years since my mom's written a poem and I think it's one of the first times she's attempted at writing one in English - she wrote four of them this past week (one for each of us). She's a published Hindi poet and I'm so proud of her. She's asked me so many times what I thought of this today - even said "you're not going to dissect my English are you? I don't want a post-mortem you know". Of course this coming from the years of insecurity of having a bratty little kid unjustly criticize your language skills. I'm sorry for the hurt I caused you, and the stupid things I've said to you in the past. I love you so much.
My mom's sacrificed so much for me, and I'll never be able to thank her enough for all the things she's done. It's true what they say about how when you're in your late 20's your relationship with your family really alters for the better, at least it has with me.
I love you Mom!!!
Can you just avoid reading the profanities, please?
Thanks
-A
Tuesday, March 13, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

9 comments:
Your mama's poem was beautiful. I think I know who the angel is that she's talking about. :-)
And is that kid with your mom really YOU? Oh my god. So cute!
HAHAA - yes, that's me and my mummi! I 'was' cute, 'was' the imperative word!
I love the poem and you're so right about the changed relationship with your family and all. It's kind of a coincidence, I guess-I was trying to write a poem on my mom yesterday and then gave it away because I realized it's too damn hard. Anyway, would love to read some of your Mom's Hindi poems too.
Zooey, maybe I can scan them and send them to you!
:) ty
I'm one of those people who was never much exposed to a diversity of art forms and as such couldn't quite wrap my head around a lot of art and poetry. But I have to say your mom's poem was eloquent and so rich with warm emotion.
aw!
top poem mrs ad!
ad, i don't think mothers expect anything but criticism - but it's nice of you to apologise to your mum for it. i had exactly the same thing having been really angry with my parents through my teens (you mean it's not just me???!!!) and then discovering i really rather liked them after that was great. and now i'm a parent i'm assuming i'll be in for the same unreasonably rough ride i gave my poor parents who never tried to do anything but the best for me and rarely got thanked - at least i'll deserve it. but that's parenthood for you - i think it's what we expect!
lovely! I found the last two lines particularly poignant. It really does seem like we live in a world structured such that being human really is an enormous challenge...
You're right vivek! Thanks.
Post a Comment