Short version or long version? Why bother, you can find a detailed review of the movie elsewhere - spoilers and all, in fact it seems many reviewers have already called out this tripe for what it is on rotten tomatoes and Imdb (honestly writing a review for this is just too easy).
Short Version:

Don't waste any money on this overinflated hard-on (I didn't - I watched it for free). I don't know whether it was the rampant Islamophobia (despite Islam forming as a religion 1000 yrs after this war took place!), anti-black racism, white supremacy, the homophobia, anti-disableism, the obvious war-promoting or the spoils of war (i.e. objectified women) which got to me the most. Of course it could be the moral of the story: The only way to win a cock-fight (or "fighting for justice, freedom and humanity") is to get a bigger "stronger, harder" and "harder, stronger" cock (not my words, the movie's - and yes, they did say it TWICE in case I missed it the first time) while wiping out the bad guys i.e. asians, africans and persians (i.e. ANYONE non-white).
Long Version:
The movie's about some war in Greece set in 480BC, Battle of Thermopylae, based on the Frank Miller graphic novel - it's something I won't pretend I even knew about until today, so let's just ignore the 'history' of it and focus on it's cinematic glory. Really, there's no point in discussing the 'history' of this battle because the $&%*ing movie is an American pro-war propagandist movie not about 'the spartans or the greeks' but American-version of this battle which happened nearly 2500 yrs ago.
Basically, the Spartans, led by King Leonidas, have been asked to surrender Sparta/Greece to the Persian empire. A black male messenger informs Leonidas of this. When Leonidas's wife interrupts their discussion - he says "how dare you let your wife speak on these matters?"
Of course the only thing his wife is good for is bearing babies so she says "because only Spartan women BIRTH REAL MEN"...And yes, the 'pro-empowerful' camp of the audience lets out a little cheer when this line is spake (I'm still scratching my head bout that).
The interesting thing about this brief little discussion is that 1)it's an implicit acknowledgement that women in the messenger's country must be treated like dirt - remember the imperialist dynamic of "evil coloured patriarchal cultures?" vs. liberated western women? 2)liberated western women (read white) in Hollywood are generally empowered via their value to men - whether it's as a sex-object, love-interest, their adoption of masculinity or 'traditional' motherhood.
So the stage for white-hetero-male-patriarchal-supremacy is set from the get-go.
So instead of surrendering, Leonidas kills the BLACK Persian messenger and his black allies because they've 'insulted his wife and Sparta'. A violently glorified chopping a black man's head scene follows, really it's grotesque.
A flashback technique is employed to tell the tale of how Leonidas has been trained to be a fierce warrior from the age of seven, when the barbaric/noble Spartans start training their young to be warriors. The flashback of young, pre-pubescent, Leonidas proving his manlihood by slaying a wolf while only wearing a loin cloth in the freezing darkness of winter is referred to several times throughout the movie to reinforce Leonidas' ferocity.
Homophobia:
The movie doesn't even pretend to be anything but white supremacist, misogynist, islamophobic, ableist, or homophobic, in fact it prides itself on all these accounts. If we missed the homophobia at the beginning of the movie when King Leonidas briefly refers to Athenians as "Boy-loving philosophers", we get it again ten-fold repeatedly throughout the movie.
When Leonidas' army of 300 meets a neighbouring Greek city's army of 1000 men, Leonidas justifies the manly-manliness of his army because the "artists, sculptors, and blacksmiths" of the neighbouring city's army do not real manly-men make. The conclusion is that a few good men, are better than the lives of 1000 (this is enforced later on too).
When battle takes off, we find out that the evil Xerxes (god-like emperor of Persia) is an effeminate, heavily ornated, man-woman-transgender-loving horndog.
The funniest thing about my cinematic experience though, was that my companion, in this case evil incarnate; a gay, occupationally effeminate MOC, was drooling over the washboard abs, chiseled thighs and pecs of the uber-manly-man Spartan Army (yeah, okay so was I :P). So, despite it's obvious homophobia (i.e. it's literal message) this movie's reliance on extreme gender conformity was almost a parody of itself visually - i.e. there is no way you could take the narrow gender roles seriously without thinking dirty thoughts about the Spartan's in their loin cloths. At some point there was a duo of two younger Spartan's whom my companion repeatedly wished would make out - of course until one of them was decapitated.
Now, I don't think this was some clever-pomo-gender-fucking-theory on screen, that would give an otherwise horrible movie too much credit, and besides the lines between good/evil repetitive jabs at gay men in comparison to manly men were stark. I just think it was a series of bad choices made by the movie-makers and ended up reading differently than they expected. But saying this was a 'homoerotic' movie, as many critics have cited it as - would be negligent and would be like saying that football players, basketball players, other 'manly-men' are not really 'violent' but rather enjoy watching each other shower... or some other more clever analogy that I can't think of at the moment.
Sexy Nekkid Chicks, "white" vs. "other":
Yes, this movie has a lot of 'sexy nekkid chicks'. The first scene is where we're entertained by what we find out later to be a "white, nude, drunk, teenage girl". Girls gone wild anyone? Hurrah. And guess what? Said girl is really OWNED by very ugly priests because she is an oracle, and we find out that they get to fuck her too, cause they have "dark manly hearts" and women who are hot "are cursed by their own beauty", talk about victim-blaming...Totally unnecessary scene.
Later on, because manly man, Leonidas is urgin for the plungin, he 'bangs' his wife (Queen Gorgo) every which way to nth-multiple orgasm - to which even the the couple next to me laughed "Okay, we get the point already!" *snarky laugh*.
These former women are both white. One part is revolting, but obviously the way it was shot - it was meant to tantalize the viewer with it's 'mystical' elements, and when we find out this erotic dance is by a drunk, teenage girl, it's well after the scene is over - so what, the main point of it was to objectify...
Both of the white women in the two scenes are 'property' of their rightful owners, the white men in their immediate lives - the priests and husband. Their 'sexuality' is dutiful, non-deviant, conforming and 'moral' whether that is for a group of men who 'facilitate religion' (thus their sexual value is extended for the benefit of the entire community) or whether for their husbands (in this case the KING, and you bet your ass if the King don't get his rocks off... well).
But later, when we are introduced to a whole harem of hot, ornated, tattooed, coloured sexy chicks it's more like we've been thrown into a visual orgy of totally debaucherous sexuality. They are aggressive, forceful, defiant, unaware of their obvious ownership because even though they are owned they are willing participants in their own 'degradation'. We see these women of every single colour, other than white, defiantly throwing themselves at the disfigured/disabled/gollum-like character who is a traitor to Leonidas. They tempt and snare him into being an asshole and betraying his leader while luring him to the 'dark side'.
[ETA, re: ableism: this character is a traitor because Leonidas refuses him entry into his army due to his physical disability. The opening scene of the movie shows the Spartans practising crude eugenics by disposing of their 'disfigured' babies down a cliff. The disabled character would have 'created a gap in their strategic battle formation'. So he is emasculated by Leonidas and seeks revenge by betraying his 'people'.]
So basically the set-up of 'the dutiful/sexually moral white woman' vs. 'amoral Jezebel' [link to interesting article] is in place because of the way the women are sexually portrayed. Their sexuality is DIFFERENT. Their all objectified, but are morally different.
Later, Queen Gorgo (Leonidas' wife) is raped by a janus-faced politician. After which she gives a passionate speech in the male council chambers on behalf of the 'mothers/daughters/sisters/wives/families' of the 300 soldiers that have sacrificed their lives for the betterment of the city-state (again their value in relation to men). It is imperative that they send more troops to help them out. Gorgo's morality and better judgement are implicit in her being a 'liberated white woman'.
The thing is - the women in the harem are all SLAVES, we've heard this comment repeatedly via the open-conjectured-threats of what would happen to the women of sparta if the evil Persians got hold of them. One character goes so far to say "the women would become slaves, or much worse" (i.e. sex slaves). I.e. so if the harem consists of SLAVES, they are obviously 'victims of rape'. Yet, the only sympathetic rape(s) here (potential and realized), are those of the moral white women of Sparta - not the coloured women who are not victims but rather 'sexually deviant' from the get go.
Colourism:
Do you see any significant difference between the skin-colour of Xerxes (Rodrigo Santoro) or Leonidas (Gerard Butler), in this picture here? not really... Throughout the movie it is obvious that the
Genetic variation and thus skin-colour are more varied within a 'group' than between 'groups'. So it's rather silly for them to consistently employ such stark colour differences anyways.
The Persian army is also substantially disfigured/ugly. The
American-Propaganda - Conclusion:
The only way to win a war is to send in more troops, otherwise we all lose. The closing shot ends with an army of 30K plus who are all willing to 'sacrifice' their lives for the rest of us. They are "brave heroes" who die "a glorious death".
More on the obvious homophobia of the movie, here.
Cross-posted at Leftist Movie Reviews, comments open everywhere.
Update 1: There is some interesting discussion about this movie at Feral Scholar.
Update 2: There are petitions against this movie too. Check it out (link via No Snow Here at this blog here.
This movie also happens to be the number one movie this week, by a landslide.

28 comments:
Sigh. The trailers for this movie made me giggle. I was misled into thinking it was stupid and ridiculous instead of vile and hateful. Thanks for the review.
I'm a goofball, I didn't even check out the trailer - so imagine my surprise!!!!
Frank Miller strikes again!
(ew.)
And, that's insane--a Spartan calling an Athenian a "boy lover?"
Yeah, right.
V, my knowledge of history is TERRIBLE, but thanks for that - it made me laugh!
Hey, thanks for this great analysis!
i thought the same thing about the movie. AND the same thing about the 'boy lover' comment! haha.
i was really excited to see the movie in i-max. but it was sold-out, so i had to see the regular version, and it was all downhill from there. i did love the visuals though.
sounds lovely, really. :eyeroll: thanks for the breakdown.
My company went to see the movie, and I bailed out because I knew it would be very violent, and I can't stand even a little violence. Unless it is well wrapped in a context of true and honest anti-violence which recognizes the fact that 99% of violence is by the powerful against the powerless.
You know, there are so many movies we radicals don't see because we don't want to get depressed, that we don't even know the extent of the hate.
Thank you for sharing what this movie is really about so I don't have to see it.
The opening scene of the movie shows the Spartans practising crude eugenics by disposing of their 'disfigured' babies down a cliff.
I believe that this, at least, was very vaguely historical. I'm glad I saw Ghost Rider rather than this. Of course, Ghost Rider was a completely ridiculous rehash of masculine hero stereotypes, minus any sense of logic said stereotypes might have had.
Which reminds me. My movie drought has ended and I owe you two reviews. (One for Bridge to Terebithia, which was excellent and you should see for all that it is entirely about white people, and the other for the aforementioned Ghost Rider, which is bad, very bad, but in the sense of funny-bad, not horrendously offensive-bad like 300 was.)
Mandos,
I'm sure many parts of it are 'historical' - but the picking/choosing/screening/filming of scenes isn't...
I saw Bridge to Taribithia...it was a good 'story' - but I kinda yawned most way through... the characters were just 'too cute' for me. :P
And what the hell was up with all the chest thumping, yelling and grunting? Every was "WE ARE SOLDIERS WE WILL KILL AND THEN WE WILL DIE IN GLORY, YEAH!!!"
Note to Mr. Miller and Mr Sanz: Great cinematography and graphics won't make up for a bad story, especially when it plays on the worst of hypermasculine stereotypes.
OMG - yes, the call of the wild manly men! Grunts and all.
RE: Bridge to Tarabithia, you should read the book. I picked up the book because I had forgotten what I'd read lo these 16 years... Left me shattered
I really appreciate the heads up about this movie. I was actually really interested in seeing it. Now, I know not to waste my time.
By the way, I noticed in another thread that you commented that someone signing their comment on your blog with the term "namaste" was a bit insulting. Would you mind telling me if it was just insulting in that instance or if it's simply inappropriate to use with people you don't know...I have used this as a greeting to one of my friends who is also a professor. I'm sure he wouldn't tell me if I was being culturally insensitive or disrespectful. I'd sure appreciate it if you could one day maybe explain more about this. I am feeling really sheepish after reading what you wrote because I'm worried that I might be coming across as a jerk by doing that. I never thought that it might be interpreted as implying the person doesn't speak English. :(
Sewere, I gotta admit - I cried when the incident happened. For sure.
Bint, no it's not insulting at all. It was entirely misplaced & irritating though when it was used by the person using it. I.e the context just didn't seem right to me. I was telling them off - and then they come back with 'namaste' - huh? So what if ___ person knew how to say namaste it was like saying hello at the end of a sentence for no reason... Context is always important.
Good for you - would you like a cookie?
Troll oh troll, why do you bother? Don't manly man blogs allow you to post at their blogs? or are you not man enough for them? Well, in that case - if you don't measure up there, you might be at the right blog then - you just got a lot of thinking to do as to why you don't measure up.
Tsk tsk tsk...
[<<] [>>]
Domain Name ilstu.edu ? (Educational)
IP Address 138.87.156.# (Illinois State University)
ISP Illinois State University
Location Continent : North America
Country : United States (Facts)
State : Illinois
City : Normal
Lat/Long : 40.5103, -88.998 (Map)
Language English (United States)
en-us
Operating System Microsoft WinXP
Browser Internet Explorer 6.0
Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1; SV1; ; InfoPath.1)
Javascript version 1.3
Monitor Resolution : 1280 x 1024
Color Depth : 32 bits
Time of Visit Mar 20 2007 1:10:37 pm
Last Page View Mar 20 2007 1:17:35 pm
Visit Length 6 minutes 58 seconds
Page Views 3
Referring URL
Visit Entry Page http://leftistlooney...gspot.com/index.html
Visit Exit Page http://leftistlooney...gspot.com/index.html
Out Click 15 comments
http://www2.blogger....=1596570853305977965
Time Zone UTC-5:00
Visitor's Time Mar 20 2007 1:10:37 pm
Visit Number 11,045
hey ad! from the comment immediately above, do you reckon if this blog were actually to be renamed leftistlooneygspot.com you could sell it to a porn farm and make lotsa cash? just a thought - namaste! (ducks rapidly)
xxx
SW - your comments always make me laugh! Thanks! LOL - and no I don't have any intention of selling this site at the moment, 'alas' that will NEVER happen (pun intended of course!).
Win for my predictive movie predicting powers!
The eugenics thing was historically accurate, as was the "empowerful" women of spartan society - after all the men needed SOMEONE to whip the slaves while the men all spent time having sex with each other to build espirit d'Corps.
Ah Sparta, so historically interesting, yet so fucked on so many levels.
Okay, can I pick your brains?
was there any mention that the spartans had slaves?
Was there any hot man-on-man oiling action around about the bit where sean connery says the "then we shall fight in the shade" line?
How much man-on-man in general was there in the movie?
a) no spartan slaves! Except for the woman who was the 'oracle' (sex-slave) for the priests. But that was her fault for being beautiful, so I don't know if that counts really :P
b) no oiling manly bodies unfortunately.
c) No man on man for the spartans at all, a few men/transgenders in the Persian harem - but they weren't doing anything to each other. So it doesn't really count either.
Erm it's rated 8.1/10 on IMDB, hardly "called out for the tripe it is"
I haven't seen, so I don't have an opinion. Here's a conservative commentary on the movie by Victor Davis Hanson.
http://corner.nationalreview.com/post/?q=ODRmNmY0NTlkYmQyNGFmNzU3MTAyOTlkMzc2ODBjNGI=
Thanks for the update N, I didn't realize there was that kind of rating system there. It's also a #1 this week at the box office too, really troubling.
However, if you go to the IMDB discussion boards (I don't know if those threads are still there) many people pointed out the obvious racist elements of the movie, so I was going by the discussions raised there. The homophobic comments regarding the movie were mentioned at many GBLT blogs.
AradhanaD.
Excellent commentary on this movie.
I saw the trailers for this movie and thought, "Wow, I'll bet that's one movie that is going to take excessive liberties with history", and sure enough, from your review, it did.
Does not surprise me.
That's Hollyweird.
Good link to the image of "Jezebel". That's an image we black women have been fighting for over 400+ years, and it looks like we will be fighting it for another 4,000 years.
And on the Persians.
Most people do not know that present-day Iranians are the descendants of Persians. (I'm familiar with Xerxes, a famous Persian ruler.)
In fact, when I graduated from high school, and went on to college, I met many Persians in college.
And NONE of them were at all like the ones portrayed in "300".
No horns, no disfigurement, no wildly insane behaviour.
Just run-of-the-mill people.
You know.
Humans.
Anyway, great blog.
Great review.
(Thanks to your review, I had a fun time reading it. Only wish I had some popcorn and a soda in hand, while I was reading it.)
Cheers!
Hey Ann,
Thanks for your comments and encouragement. I was really ignorant prior to writing this entry - and I'm embarassed to say - I did not realize they were referring to present-day-Iran. But then I went to Nosnowhere, and realized!
Take care.
AD
Oh, look, a group of historically clueless ragers who are incapable of grasping the notion of a campfire story.
God, your need to latch onto anything to make your political balls feel huge is pathetic.
Ooh, trolls presenting no actual counter-arguments to your points. Always fun.
There's that old "humorless" non-argument. And apparently you don't get the subtle context of such a fine film.
Awesome breakdown of the film, Aradhana D.
B.G.
Post a Comment