UPDATE 3: I got a message in my email account today saying that someone replied to my message on the youtube thread - (about keeping your girlfriend in-line). I also posted the passage from the community guidelines. Hurrah - thanks for flagging it everyone! This is the comment that appears instead of that video now!
Yippers :)
So the first video is gone!!!
UPDATE 4: Zooey noticed the video is available---I checked and there are two more copies of that first video (the original link has been taken down). I don't want the two videos on my blog. I am taking them off - but feel free to keep commeting on the videos and also flag them. I am keeping the links on here. Thank you.
Original post:
Well.... Look no further than youtube for rampant misogyny. This is a brand new video. I didn't expect to post something so quickly, I was searching for a video for this song and this (among other misogynistic videos) came up. The song was "Yours to keep" (yes, the virgin mobile song) and instead this came up. This video has only had 100 views, but can everyone please join me in flagging this as inappropriate and or trying to get this removed. Just register with youtube, and flag it. (trigger warning).
UPDATE 2: This is from the Youtube Community Guidelines:
We encourage free speech and defend everyone's right to express unpopular points of view. But we don't permit hate speech which contains slurs or the malicious use of stereotypes intended to attack or demean a particular gender, sexual orientation, race, religion, or nationality
The only way, from what I understand, for a video to be removed is for people to "flag the video as inappropriate" and at some point someone will 'view it for consideration'. I suggest - logging in and posting comments. Please do this if you get a chance. Youtube terms of use. I tried to post comments again today - and they aren't posting for some reason. Does anyone know why?
This is so hate-filled and vomit-inducing I can't get my head around it.
VIDEO HERE!
Okay, I was wrong - this wasn't the only video - this one is about 'how to score anal sex with your girlfriend'. This one is actually quite popular. It's basically a rape-training video.
SECOND VIDEO HERE.
Now that youtube is worth over 1.6 billion dollars, does anyone know what the regulations are for posting vids? when is something offensive?
What the hell.
I posted this comment on youtube, but I don't see it. Note, if you are posting comments on youtube - the maximum word count is 500 characters:
This video promotes misogyny. It relies on the stereotypes that 1) women are dogs 2) Should be roughed up in order to be 'trained' 3) are vacuous gold-diggers
Domestic violence, and rape statistics aren't just made out of thin air.
Men, you too need to speak out against this video:
http://www. rapeis. org/activism/prevention/menagainstrape.html
PLEASE REMOVE THIS VIDEO FROM YOUTUBE.
I posted this message on the second one, but I can't seem to post either message. It keeps on asking me to confirm my email address - and then I confirm it - but nothing is happening.
Is beating a woman into submission getting her to have anal sex with you? Or is it rape and assault? 1 woman in North America is raped every 30 seconds. 80% of rapes happen by acquaintances. PLEASE REMOVE THIS VIDEO FROM YOUTUBE. SPEAK OUT AGAINST MALE VIOLENCE AGAINST WOMEN. That means men too: http://www. rapeis. org/activism/prevention/menagainstrape.html
UPDATE: I don't know how this youtube thing works - is there any likelihood that these videos have a chance of being permanently removed from youtube? If it is pointless for me to post these videos here - then I will remove them asap.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

36 comments:
OMG. Those are FUCKED UP.
I don't have a YouTube account, but it might be worth it just to complain at length.
I know - I'm really flabbergasted Veronica, and though I have a youtube account - my comments are showing up.
That second is really widely in circulation.
neither of these were even flagged for 'adult' content until I just flagged them.
Not like "adult content" really makes a fucking diff.
sorry "my comments AREN'T showing up"
I also looked up different terms like "Boyfriend training, training men, how to teach a man" and other random things - to see if anyone made responses - as USUAL - none of that stuff exists, so the 'relativist' arguments that this is "joking" would not cut it either. I'm really furious. I can't type right either.
"[W]e don't permit hate speech which contains slurs or the malicious use of stereotypes intended to attack or demean a particular gender, sexual orientation, race, religion, or nationality."
This is as serious as Cafépress's statement, which barely stops them from selling tons of T-shirts and mugs with sexist messages. When I searched Youtube for ska, I found out that they also had ten pages or so of Skrewdriver and Saga (Swedish neo-Nazi singer) videos. Those songs, which are forbidden in most European countries under anti-racism legislation, fit exactly Youtube's definition of "hate speech", like everything produced by the "White Power" bands listed here by the Intelligence Report (how sad to see an entry for Greece, even if it's only two bands, when you think that the AHEPA was created precisely to resist the triple-K's attacks against Greek immigrants).
They were "flagged", but apparently that just means that they are put under the "age verification" wall (some Madness members had worked with pre-nazified Skrewdriver, hence the link with ska).
Ok, I "flagged as inappropriate" and show "hate speech." It'll let you do that without an account.
Sheesh I've flagged them as Hate speech and left comments. FFS!
(Aradhana, I just realised that I was not quite on topic; I am sorry about that, I made the mistake of commenting before watching the videos in their entirety: this is indeed messed up beyond words. This reminds me: have you seen what kind of stupidity comes up when you search for "Andrea Dworkin"?)
Okay my comments finally show up on the stupid vids.
Thanks for your comments.
Jimmy, I found your comments earlier to be quite on topic and very informative.
It's amazing how when you type any words -something totally different comes up. I have no idea how the hell these vids came up when i was searching for a goddamn commercial song.
AD I have linked to this post for as long as it remains. I would like as many people as possible to flag them.
All right, I created an account and flagged both videos as "hate speech". Unsurprisingly, the user who posted the "girlfriend-training" one is an amateur of "hot girls" and "pornstar" clips.
(And thanks, AD.)
Bah - Jimmy, I assumed as much - seriously. I typed in Andrea Dworkin too - and I guess the first video was made by men who hate her (it's men who star in it). *rolls eyes*.
Also wanted to say - I had to edit my comments to shorten them for youtube (at that time I was really furious - and just posted what I could) - I didn't mean for it to be addressed only to men - but I assumed it's mostly men and teenage boys who keep commenting that the vids are "Awesome" - so that's why I put the 'men can stop rape link'.
I am assuming there are tonnes of more videos like this on youtube, it seems so inconsequential - I wouldn't be surprised if these are 'tame' in comparison to other ones there. These two caught my attention only because I wasn't looking for them - but now that I think of it, this is probably a drop in the bucket.
I just couldn't work up the nerve to watch the videos until today. I've reported both-the first one as hate speech, the second for graphic violence.
The first video was on youtube twice. But did you notice how many times people posted the anal rape video? That's even more disgusting than the video.
Disgusting. When you click on the link to the second one it now says 'This video may contain content that is inappropriate for some users, as flagged by YouTube's user community.' You can still see it, you just have to click confirm to say you will watch stuff flagged by teh community, but better than nothing I guess.
Yes, spotted ele - I can't believe how many different users have re-distributed this video. It's really disturbing.
The comments section is also insane. I didn't come across any comments were this is obviously 'promoting rape as a strategy to get what you want'.
Ann - you might want to also see the comments on this thread made by Jimmy re: white-power bands and andrea dworkin.
On the youtube contact page - it doesn't really say much about contacting them about 'content'.
I guess the next step might be for me to contact them directly.
i got about halfway through the first one. my browser is draggy and not syncing the sound with the images. probably just as well. gah. i think i'm getting the idea...
you know what it sort of reminds me of? the way people like James Dobson talk about child rearing. Control, control, control. Everything is about control. "Respect mah AUTHORITAH!"
yeah, youtube's had a number of seriously fucked up videos. "adult content" doesn't really cover the problem with them; this is not about being an -adult.-
but, like, nubian had found some awful racist ones, especially the one of these horrible little adolescent girls who were telling racist "jokes" into the camera with this -smirk- that...yeah. i think they did end up pulling that one. or maybe the girls pulled it themselves. it was vile, anyway. also some foul blackface stuff, teenage suburban boys mugging for their friends.
they had the same feel as this guy (so far; i get the impression it gets worse, and the second one is worse)--"oh, look, aren't i clever, aren't i CUTE, winkie winkie, nudge nudge." i'd like to slap the smug right off him.
Okay. I just watched the second one.
What. The fuck.
I guess I missed the funny part.
is there a link back to the originals at youtube? not seeing where to flag.
It's interesting - cuz I agree, the 2nd is far worse than the first - what disturbs me more is that it is so popular. Did anyone not notice that this is "RAPE"?
I remember someone posting the 'black-face' stuff on their blog, I couldn't remember who. This was my first encounter with this stuff. I furiously put them up when I saw them.
I really wonder the likelihood of them being removed. And yes, an "adult content" disclaimer does not cut it at all. This is hate speech and misogyny, period.
BD - double click on the videos on my blog, they will take you directly to the vids on youtube.
You can then comment directly on youtube and under the video on the right side there is a little link that says "flag..." - flag it and chose "hate speech" or what you find more befitting.
I think I have become obsessive - I have tried to comment on each one of those "anal rape" vids.
The sickest thing of all is - that all the viewers "GET" that this is rape:
jasong82 (1 week ago)
OMFG LMAO RAPES HER
Aradhana, Stormy has some good news over at Sparkle's:
The first one at least has been "removed by user".
Maybe this is not the first time that man has a flagging problem. Cheers to you for starting the action!
The second one will be more tricky, because of the pseudo-parodic distancing effect (black and white, etc.), and the fact that it has already been uploaded by many different users.
LOL - Jimmy, I just posted as an update on that post - I just got a mssg in my inbox saying someone commented on my comments at youtube!
Yippers, the video is gone!
And I agree with you about the second one.
Thanks zooey - gluck on your exam.
I guess there are too many copies in circulation. I just keep posting the comments with the youtube guidelines on there.
Feel free to copy my comments into youtube too.
"This video has been removed by the user"
Cheers you!
I know there has been copys made but hey! it only takes me a few minutes.
Hmm why do I feel as though I'm "fire-fighting" ?
Oh well...
LOL - Sparkle - I was thinking I'm sure if we keep up at this - some stupid ass joke will be made like "here goes the youtube feminist police again".
I can just here that now...
Whatever...Now that I know what kind of BS is on there - I'm just going to flag these things as they come up. :)
Personally, I can't stand James Dobson, but I'm telling Focus on the Family how Google lets rape videos (and people's laughing response videos) be repeatedly posted on YouTube. Ha! Maybe Dobson will mention this in his newsletter to 35 million christian fundamentalists. Ha!
Thanks for posting this, it sent my daily outrage meter into next year.
Someone contact Nat'l Assoc of Women or anyone else you can think of. Hatred of women must not be allowed to continue on UT. Let's end it, bloggers.
o, i really don't want YouTube on Dobson's' or FoF's radar, please. YouTube needs to be responsible to the people who watch it, not the sensibilities of fundamentalist theocrats & their cynical leadership. NOW, RAINN, whatever else, fine. FoF--i think, let sleeping dogs lie--far, farrrr awaaayyyy....
Very nice! Congratulations!
Congratulations on getting the videos removed - methinks this war on hate speech has just begun.
i've just blogged again on the demeaning female stereotypes in Big Brother - let me know what you think :)
Everyone, we only got 1 copy of it removed!
Please keep clicking on youtube and flagging away! Thanks.
Also make sure you flag anything like crazy when you see it... We can get them removed if we collaborate. I know it sounds cheesy that I'm angered by something like youtube - but it says so in their community guidelines and I think they ought to stick to it! :)
I will check in on your post RJ.
Congratulations on getting some copies removed, folks! I reported one copy of the "anal sex" rape culture horseshit as inappropriate. I couldn't bring myself to sit through the other video.
Those "community standards" don't mean shit. They had a documented gang rape by Australian teenagers that was viewed 9,000 times up there for weeks before they finally took it down. All YouTube gives a shit about is money, like all media companies.
Totally off topic, but AD: Let's just say that I have eaten my share of idlies and dosas...
mandos, you southerner!
good stuff ad - kep gong ad change the world one video at a time.
Zooey,
I was going to write an entry on that actually - but I can't find good sources about what actually 'happened' - but now the government of India's even involved in the whole fiasco....
You can check out "Nirali Magazine the BLOG" or Sepia Mutiny for some updates.... I don't link to either of these sites but you can find them via google.
Aradhana,
The second link ("How to score anal sex") now says "This video has been removed due to terms of use violation". I remember that the user who uploaded it was under 18, so that might have been the reason, rather than the rape apology. As a matter of fact, the video has been uploaded by dozens of other people. Still, a small victory!
Never mind my previous comment, you must have updated the link since the early post. I checked my browser "history" (which has the first link, posted by a minor user), and the video is still there, along with the comment you posted. Anyway, the result is still that one of them has been removed (in addition to the "Girlfriend training" one).
Post a Comment