I am smitten with Zooeylive!!!! You've gotta read this.
Post your comments directly at Zooeylive's blog. Hurrah!
UPDATE: Have you seen this short film yet? I think it's befitting taking into consideration some of the comments that Zooeylive has on her post.
It's a 12 min film - "all ya 'efnik' ppl" will relate. Most of you "non-efnik" UKers will too - cause it's made in the UK.
Watch it - it's hysterical!
Holly Bolly! By Dishad Husain. 2004. London.
Note: gender representation is biased, but overall a hysterical 12 mins.
Also for anyone visiting this blog - check out the new posts at reSisterance. The last three are especially good, link is in the blogroll!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
This was indeed a great post (and poem). Thank you, AradhanaD, for introducing me to Zooeylive's blog.
I am slowly catching up in between my self-imposed "breaks" and will watch the movie later. In case you don't read the Azine, I think you might be interested by this article by Diu Hoang about Vietnamese American nail salons workers:
"My sister grew up in America and has a college degree, but she does nails out of family obligations. She’s embarrassed to tell her friends with corporate jobs that she is doing nails. She hates scrubbing other people’s hands and feet for the couple of bucks in tips that she gets. The white customers talk down on her, constantly surprised that she can speak English so well or at all. They don’t believe that she has a college degree. Why in the world would she being doing nails?"
P.S.: I am fka Jimmy Ho. Still "processing" what we talked about, by the way.
(I watched and appreciated the film. I happen to know "someone" whose scenario was rejected for not being "sad" enough for a story set in a Greek village, because "everybody knows how tragic that is! What with the women all dressed in black and the desolated landscape! Too bad you had to include those happy scenes, sorry that doesn't say 'Greece' to us [the French audience]". What bothers me about Michael Cacoyannis is that he owes a significant part of his "Western" success to obvious concessions on those points.)
Post a Comment