Wednesday, January 03, 2007

"Of Cultural Appropriation and White Feminists"

I am cheating here because this is such a good post that it is worth repeating and distributing, plus there is no way I could ever write/analyze something so critically and honestly:

diaries of an eccentric nerd athaba hijibiji discusses: "Of Cultural Appropriation and White Feminists"

Just a delicious morsel of the article, so you get a taste:

a) If you are working on a cultural or literary tradition, please make sure that you know about it in all its possible complexities before you begin to work on it or pass authoritative judgements on it.

b) Learn to give other cultures their proper rights of ownership.

c)Please remember that we do not need a clueless white woman like you to prove the relevance of our literary works or to provide their feminist re-interpretations. We have already accomplished those tasks ourselves.


Especially worth reading is the discussion that follows.

If I was to add to this, I would say this is not just relevant to 'literary works' but also anything of 'another culture' that you relay on your blog which you do not 'fully understand' or view in it's myriad complexities and connectivities. This is why "Burqa-gate" was such a complex fiasco.

Comments are off, because you can comment directly on the writer's blog, which I am sure she would appreciate.

BTW: HAPPY NEW YEAR AND EID MUBARRAK!!!