It seems as though in my rush to make a point, I isolated and offended many individuals. For this I suck, because it was hypocritical of me.
It's hypocritical because I think generally as feminists we create too many divisions amongst ourselves when if we look at successful feminist struggles like the March for Women's Lives it was not our divisions that made this event successful, it was our ability to look beyond the differences and look at our common goal.
Likewise as we have seen with trans issues, there are many different radical feminist voices.
My Original unedited 'PS' remark. I am leaving this here for anyone to see, I am removing it from my original post because it is meaningless and a detraction from the main point.
PS. If you're from the pro-pornstitution feminist tag team (you know who you are) that somehow miraculously appears to suddenly 'befriend' every dissenting feminist voice on the net, to support them with their 'radical feminist bashing', there's no nice way for me to say this 'don't bother'. Seriously, on any other post I'd love to hear your comments - just not this one. Pornstitution is racist, it harms WOC and I have no desire to get support from any of you - just because you think 'I'm bashing your enemy'. No thanks. I do however, encourage you to comment on my other posts if you ever feel like it because like "white radical feminists", I do know that we have things in common - just not as many as I'd like.
I should have stated that this was not to be a 'radical feminist bashing' period. It should have ended there, to specify that it was 'pro-pornstitution' feminists was ignorant of me and for that I apologize. I furthered a binary without thinking and I am sorry. Also, as BFP noted, this made it seem like I assumed that 'WOC' are incapable of knowing who their allies are (she didn't say it in so many words, but I am).
I will unfortunately NOT apologize for my usage of examples, for that I am not sorry.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

10 comments:
Hey Aradhana,
How are you doing right now? Let me know if you need anything, sista.
I don't think I'm up for blog-allegiances/politics.
TY - Happy New Year & Eid Mubarrak!
Happy 2007 AD
x
blimey arrers, you've been busy! i've been in the real world for a while and hadn't seen any of this stuff you've been doing. well lawks is all i can say! fascinating stuff and the debate with heart has me thinking 'i just don't fucking know shit!'.
there are people you 'meet' in the bloglobe who have had some lives.
i don't really have any context on the debate as for me it's a listening and learning thing rather than a commenting - just finding out more about the extent of my own privilege (and as a non woman, not of colour, not glbtq...etc with a bloody posh education i have to put myself pretty much up the top of that particular shit heap - ah well at least i'm not a tory and i know a cute baby with a pen when i see her).
hope 07 is full of controversy for and from you and you continue to shoot yer mouth off when and where you see fit (as of course you would anyway). come and visit soon - i may even write something...tho obviously your understandable aversion to pgeist may make you unwilling to come over - if so i'll just have to come over here to your place.
best as ever,
yr privileged pal and tool of the patriarchy
hope you had a nice holi RC.
well - let's hope 2007 brings great strides in learning for all of us in which we look past our egos and come together in solidarity where warranted, right? ;)
TY to everyone for their comments, wishes and posts (veronica) ;)
cheers to y'all
i might need a very long telescope to se past my ego, but i'll give it a go.
out of interest are you not a muslim or not a hindu? i'd thought previously from your comments about my ignorance of world religions (the day we met - ah yes i remember it well...)you were the latter, but from the eid wish i was now wondering if the former...i guess it's a boring western christian that i'm not, as 'twere.
have a good 07 (or 1463 or whatever it is - more of my ignorance...)
I'm an atheist (born Hindu). But Eid was on December 31st too. There are two eids in a year - but I don't really know the difference, maybe you can ask Mandos.
Or of course, look it up, like I'll be doing now that I've brought it up here. :P
had thought it was a hindu that you aren't; i think we should start asking atheists what religion they don't espouse - certainly teaches you about them - err us.
this eid will be the mid-winter festival, then - unless of course the equator buggers up that theory. as opposed to eid al fitr which i think is the one marking the end of the holy month of ramadan - which i like because i tend to get invited for iftar a little before the end of ramadan (working with some muslim groups) and it's a bloody good meal. must remember to take a bottle next year. ah cultural sensibilities.
"It's hypocritical because I think generally as feminists we create too many divisions amongst ourselves when if we look at successful feminist struggles like the March for Women's Lives it was not our divisions that made this event successful, it was our ability to look beyond the differences and look at our common go"
That's really well put, AradhanaD. You know that whole business about the privileged not recognizing they've got "the wind at their back?" I think divisiveness in feminism has been an *enormous* benefit for patriarchy, and it's a "wind at their backs" privilege because they don't even have to do anything to promote it. In fact they don't even have to pay attention. Instead while, say, Stormy and Amber (who are in maybe 95% agreement) are rolling around in the gutter the men and women who benefit from and perpetuate patriarchy can effortlessly step across both of them on their way across the street.
figleaf
Post a Comment