Yes Folks, it's true, fat phobia is at all time highs now.... Santa is now a HAWT, skinny, hipsterish fellow with a vitoria's secret model wife!
I do not want to directly link to this source (it's an ad). So cut and paste this into your browser, and click on "TV Ads" then the "christmas story" commercial (remove space).
http://www.fido. ca/incomingcalls/?source=couplesPackage&buttonClick=ENIncomingCalls
Since there is an absence of presents in the commercial, does this mean Santa is no longer giving (you know maybe he compensated for his fatness by giving gifts?)? It's back to coal and oranges for you all!
BTW I hate Santa (for many reasons), but mainly 'cause us Hindu-born kids never got any presents because we're EVIL heathens! ;)
[Contrasted to the 'super-aryan-ish' Santa, check out the 'middle-easternish' scrooge...]
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

13 comments:
If you aren't averse to reverse-ironic humour:
http://www.islamicanews.com/displayarticle77.html
My own relationship to Santa Claus was indifferent. I enjoyed all kinds of Christian kitsch and didn't really resent it. My parents got me presents for both Eids, and often on Christmas we'd go out to the movie theatre.
After I graduated from high school, me and my friends have an annual "Christmas" party. The majority of us are either non- or nominal Christians.
HA HA HA - I was that Adnan Sami kid. I put up a green sock in the hallway and told my mom about it, her answer was simple 'I don't think you're going to get anything', and I didn't get anything and told everyone about it!
My experience with any Christian holidays hasn't been too pleasant, I've always known too many very conservative Christians (I'm talking anti-contraceptive types)...I also went to a Catholic "Public" highschool.
Of course there is also the whole feminist interpretation of the jolly old patriarch... "Suck up, and you'll get what you want from the man."
I'm not saying celebrations can't just be kitshy fun - but well there's always the meaning behind it.
I recognize a lot of that, but I am *so* bad, I happen to enjoy watching Christmas Catholic mass on TV. I know what it means to some people but the paegentry is so cool! Muslims are much less entertaining in that way.
alrighty then...Even some Christians I know hate mass!!! Mandos - I'm at a loss for words! But then again my cousins n sib n me, usually laugh our way through Pujas! Now, watching coconuts covered with flowers, petals and rice - looking like over-sized mammaries is FUNNY and juvenile...but funny and juvenile... :P Yes, hindu ceremonies ARE def. entertaining! Washing idols with milk n honey and all that gooey stuff ends up making for very juvie sexual innuendos for a bunch of karma-less atheists. Mass -- *yawn*.
But isn't the symbolism and the art just fascinating to unfold? I especially like it when the bishop holds up the oval wafer.
Mandos, I've never lasted through to get to that part! But I admit you've got me curious...
You mean you never got to the bread and wine transubstantiation bit? Where the bishop turns the bread into Jesus' flesh and the wine into his blood. According to Catholic doctrine, this is what *literally happens*, or some loose approximation thereof.
The mass involves a cannibalistic feast based on an apparent misinterpretation of an analogy Jesus uses in the Bible.
Yes, I've heard 'bout the body and blood of Christ stuff, but I never watched it! Mandos are you trying to get me to watch a Mass this xmas? chi chi chi!
Is "chi chi chi" intended to be the desi disapproval noise? I've heard that one, as well as "chi! thu!" Madrassis also use something that sounds like "Ayo-yo!" I had great fun with that one when I was little.
Seriously, though, even if you're not into watching a mass, the music they often compose for it is often splendiferous, if you're interested in classical music. Parts of Verdi's Requiem Mass are brilliant, particularly the "Dies Irae" (meaning the "Days of Wrath", I think). Berlioz parodies the mass in his Symphonie Fantastique.
Chi, thu - is worse (it means "ew, and I spit at __"). Yeah... "Ayo" is more like astonishment though isn't it?
No classical for me, thank you. None at all. In fact I am duly impressed by the desi revolution in alternative music lately - I'm going to write a post about it - one of these days.
This is not funny! I was scarred for life by the Catholic mass when I was little. I learned that yes, the communion wafer was literally transformed into Jesus' body.
I got in trouble because I refused to go to communion. I didn't want to bite into Jesus and chew him into little bits. Hadn't he suffered enough?
spotted ele, that IS scary for kids... I didn't think of that.
Likewise I was always scared of certain photos of Kali, Rani Sati (and yes, we worship her in my family) and paintings of the Kalyug (in the hare Krishna's version of the Bhagvad Gita).
I say religion is scary. Scares you into being 'good'.
Oh come on :) I for one find the whole Catholic thing astounding and fascinating. Magical, exotic---dare I say it?---so Other. Not just mass, but I love reading all of the rules and theologies and magisteria and etc etc etc. So poetic, it's worth fetishizing. Paint me purple and call me a Muslim catholophile.
Post a Comment