The unedited and extremely disturbing version of this song, can be found here - you must login to view it. It made me want to upchuck my veg lunch. Lyrics.
Okay, this post won't be as preachy as I thought it would be - because I don't think it's preachy to point out why consuming large amounts of meat is bad for this planet and indeed your health, there are of course 101 reasons for you to go veg if you haven't done so already. A recent UN report even highlights the major devastation that methane (in this case cow farts!) are having on the greenhouse effect [info via pandagon].
It's interesting because I think vegetarianism is definitely one of the most pressing 'leftist' issues today. It's an issue important for feminists, socialists, environmentalists and third worldists alike.
Of course you could just want to go veg cause it makes you 'smarter' (j/k). Or because you could take a justified piss at PeTA (Poopheads entitled to TnA), [link to no-status quo - not PeTA] because I just don't think it's right for me to talk about vegetarianism if I don't get to bash on the most widely recognized 'animal right's' organizations...
You would think PeTA was done with TnA?
Nopes...

Indeed - now they want to ensure if most of the world's women don't already feel shitty about themselves they can always 'go veg' to ensure that they do. PeTA I hate you! Don't ya know - you can be fat and fit? Or that you can be an overweight and unhealthy vegetarian??? Stop with your bullshit rhetoric already - and FUCK YOU!
Anyways, with the recent carrot juice (my favorite flavor too damnit) and spinach scares earlier this year, I think going organic AND buying local are by far the best options for a healthy and sustainable planet, period. Many mid-large cities offer delivery services for reasonably priced local produce.
Note: I like links, have you noticed? Links in this post are all actual links and not just some new spam that's highlighted some words and not others on your monitor...
Also: I was born a vegetarian (Hindu), so sometimes I feel slightly hypocritical discussing vegetarianism with people - because really I didn't have much of a choice (except that my parents were very open to me trying meat if I wanted to). I also recognize the Hindu-right's disgusting anti-Muslim discriminatory vegetarian views/policies in India. This is unfortunate but like extremists everywhere they've maligned an important issue for their own evil agendas. I am also a lacto-veg who has failed at many attempts at going vegan. I do consume very few milk products and that too it's limited to cheese and yogurt (flavors difficult to replicate via soy/rice based products). I will definitely try again.
PS. Sorry about the 'videopimp' logo on that video, I couldn't find one without it on Youtube.

2 comments:
PeTA also infuriates me. Didn't they just recently claim that they were like abolitionists and completely ignored anyone who tried to tell them that such a comparison is messed up? And a vegetarian weight loss kit? Gimme a break! Stop eating meat and eat more vegetables and it's inevitable. As far as veganism goes, you should take a look at The Sexual Politics of Meat by Carol Adams. I became vegan a few months ago, and every time I'm tempted to eat dairy or eggs (which isn't often) I think of my sisters -- the cows and chickens who suffer more than their male counterparts because humans exploit their reproductive excretions.
(BTW, your post on not being an annoying white feminist blogger was great. I learned a lot.)
Hey emily, I haven't read Carol J Adam's works yet - but I did link to her book under the 'feminist' link.
I have read a few reviews and will definitely make sure to read her work one of these days.
Also, I actually became vegan (for only a few months) after those horrible scenes in 'the corporation'. That really made my stomach turn.
Thanks.
Post a Comment