I'm just not upto participating in anything internet related lately, but this caught my attention - so I'm sharing with anyone who's reading.
Anyways, this sounds kinda lame... Along with internet hiatus, my brain is taking a break too - someone else can theorize this for me. "BE UGLY?" just doesn't sound right you know... "Be you" campaigns didn't either (mostly because they always became hyper-marketing campaigns in and of themselves like "You're worth it" etc... or "So, you're fat - buy some cellulite cream"). I personally like oag's take on this "Fuck your fascist beauty standards!" way better.
I generally distrust 'reclaimation' tactics, like "slut, bitch, jackass, n-word, etc..." Right now, ugly means 'average'.
Anyways, whatever.
Ugly Betty fights for self-esteem
Being "ugly" is the new beautiful.
That's the message ABC is sending out through a new campaign, "Be Ugly 07." The movement is promote a "positive message" for young women. And we're assuming new viewers being attracted to Ugly Betty wouldn't hurt either.
The sitcom's star character, Betty Suarez (America Ferrera) isn't drop-dead gorgeous (she's not hideous either), but is smart and has a wonderful, caring heart.
"Be Ugly 07" is the latest campaign against the fashion world's vision of beauty - rail-thin models - shown to young people in the media every day.
"Be Ugly 07" launches December 30 with several events planned across the U.S..
Betty lookalikes will hand out Betty masks in New York's Times Square and Walt Disney World in Orlando on New Year's Eve. Ferrera will unveil a t-shirt in New York on January 8 to raise money for Girls Inc., a non-profit group that promotes programs to help young women be strong and smart.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

6 comments:
Just want to say that I can understand, as I am apparently in a state close to the one you describe. I have tried several times to post something, but I deleted every draft (I just seem unable to write anything in this moment). Take care, anyway.
TY 4 Ur mssg JH. :)
Right now, ugly means 'average'.
That's my problem with this one. Betty works at a magazine--where a size 4 is "fat" and last season is "old" and botox injections happen on-site, and it's only in that context that Betty is "ugly." She's navigating a foreign universe where the standards are acknowledged within the show itself as being completely insane, classist, and dangerous. In her own neighborhood, Betty is just normal, if dowdy.
I like the show--but this is, like you said, kinda lame.
It sounds like ABC is just looking to piggyback marketing on televised New Year's specials, and pretend that it's "for a good cause." 'Cause, this scheme is half-baked.
Veronica - thanks for your insight into the show. As a general rule I don't watch tv, but I managed to catch one episode of this show - and did indeed like it. Seems like the concept of the show has been replicated globally (http://www.passtheroti.com/?p=229).
I wonder in which direction the show is headed. My seceret wish would be for Betty to say 'Damn it! I hate this industry and what it stands for - I'm outta here!!!'.
I am also kind of confused about this campaign because they say they are going 'to hand out Betty masks' to the lookalikes... the intentions seem more aimed at rating gathering than anything else (like a feel-good thing for ABC like you said).
If the girls have gotta wear betty masks - then it's not about them now is it?
Well, of course, it's gotta be Betty masks. ABC can't have actual ugly people on!! It might digitally seep through and taint the clouds-parting, angels-singing, casting-call orgasm that is Gray's Anatomy.
LOL! Very true! the ugly epidemic might sweep the nation.
Post a Comment