Thursday, January 11, 2007

On temporary e-hiatus

I'm just really busy with stuff, I have compiled at least three posts - but I realized I end up spending more time researching for articles than I do posting. I think I find the former way more fun (reading blogs - than writing one!). Like I spent over 4 hours reading about that new show 'little mosque on the prairie', only 30 mins to watch it, and then realized I have about 17 word-doc pages about the damn show - no way I could blog that! So, I'm going to wait until I see one more episode for my take on the show. I don't know how people blog everyday... it's really quite incredible when you think about it. Actually, I don't know how journalists write everyday either - I figure a good estimation for 'research to writing' is like 5 hours of research for every one page... I don't know, it's a marker I came up with off the top of my head - but it sounds about right.

So much to write about, to talk about, to read about, to learn - and really - so little time and so many obligations.

Taking an e-break. Checking out some lectures, watching some movies, getting done some thesis work...
Toodles and have a lovely weekend!

PS-My co-blogger, Bharatiyawadi is busy with his comps - so he won't be around till mid-februaryish... or so. He's also struggling with what to write here too.

:)

4 comments:

Unknown said...

i reckon fuckall hours research for one post is about right for my blog, but that's just shoddy - probably doesn't work for those of you working on quality product

AradhanaD said...

Where's your blog Becky?
I am experiencing mixed feelings about blogging and I think it takes up a lot of time! :)

Anonymous said...

"Little Mosque" depends of offensive stereotypes for its humour.

Also, while at times funny, I do wonder about how "real" the situation is. I once saw a show about how the Nazis made two propaganda films about the conflict between the British and the Irish. The films, at least according to those who were interviewed who had seen them were quite good. The only problem was that the people in the movies were not Irish. What I mean by that was that the culture of the Irish portrayed in the films in no way reflected actual Irish culture as I guess the Germans who wrote, produced, and acted in the movies never took the time to get to understand the traditions and feel of the Irish people. It just wasn't important to them because in the end it had nothing to do with the Irish. It was as one commentator of the movies said "Germans talking to Germans".

And that is kind of what I am getting with the "Little Mosque" show. In the end it isn't really about small town Saskatchewan or Muslim communities living within small town Saskatchewan. In the end what it comes down to is just Liberal Urbanite Canadians talking to Liberal Urbanite Canadians, with their political message being far more important to them than whether or not the situation portrayed reflects a real situation in the country accurately enough.

By the way, why does "The She Mayor" remind me so much of the mayor on South Park?

AradhanaD said...

Tom

It's a comedy would be a simple answer to you. This is only based on the two episodes I have seen so far, basically my take on the show is that it seems to be more about 'showcasing' Islam for Whites rather than highlighting the struggles of Muslims in small towns (and in Canada in general).

Having said that, I guess I don't expect very much from a comedy - but really good satire seems to accomplish this (like my favorite "Goodness Gracious Me").

I don't know yet - I'm still formulating my ideas on this show and I think that's going to require me to watch at least a few more episodes!