Tuesday, February 06, 2007

Introducing "Leftist" Movie Reviews.... (the other blog)

Update: We've already started posting reviews - you can find three on there right now! Come this weekend, you might not have so much trouble deciding at the rental store! Check it out!
.......
I reserved this blog called "'Leftist' Movie Reviews" back in January' 07. The idea came after I found the search-term 'Leftist Movies' in my site-meter. BUT you know, I never got a chance to introduce the blog with a bang. So to my great surprise - my dear friend Yolanda, posted a brilliant intro today. How awesome is that? I've been spared the agony of thinking about what to write as an intro and don't have to delay this project any longer!

My vision for this blog is to both write and COLLECT different reviews for a kind of "leftist" (I use the term very loosely - as I don't believe there exists a handbook for 'leftism') movie database. You'll find some issue-specific links to similar movie databases in the side-bar.

I always find that it's really hard for me to watch movies and don't get me started about how I've lost many movie-going companions because of my 'lecturing' after a movie is over! People HATE to see a movie with me because I 'spoil' it afterwards... I admit to that.

I also hope that some of you might find the site useful to get your POV across to others. As well, I hope people 'stumble' across the site - to get a different POV about the culture they have been indoctrinated into (as we all have).

Many times we ask ourselves what's the difference between a crap movie and a 'good' one. I guess the answer to that would be that 'crap' movies (usually referred to as 'mainstream') offer you 'entertainment', i.e. a time to relax and have your own preconceptions of the world proven - central to such a movie is the reliance on plot/character/graphics. However, what a GOOD movie will do - is ALTER/CHALLENGE those very preconceptions. Unlike the peripherals of plot/character/graphics - the central element of a GOOD movie is a "challenging IDEA".

Anyways, I do hope that you will all feel free to contribute your own movie reviews whenever you want (porn and erotica will not be permitted). All movies will be tagged by 1) Movie name 2) your POV - if you want 3) movie director. I have been tracking recent movie reviews in blogistan and will trackback to your blog if/when you post a movie review. A link to your blog will always be up on the specific post and comments will be closed at LMR if you have commenting availability on yours. If for any reason you do not want your review on LMR, you can contact us and we will remove the link. [This information will be reposted on LMR].

Thank you - now on with the show....

From Yolanda's lovely intro:

My friends and I love to watch movies. Part of our political work together is critiquing the content of mainstream Hollywood films---yes, your Jaws, your Beverly Hills Cops parts one through three, and your Titanics. You see, many leftists watch films and profess a love and respect for the art form, but usually these folks are talking about "sophisticated" cinema, like arthouse features and political/historical documentaries. Going unspoken in this dialogue is a false division between high art and "low-brow" mainstream culture.

Edited: Comments are open... so many posts are already up, might as well comment here!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi, AD, I reviewed The Good Shepherd at

http://politblogo.typepad.com/politblogo/2007/01/movie_review_th.html

And I have more movie reviews at

http://politblogo.typepad.com/politblogo/movies/index.html

starting slightly down the page.